Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My first "official" blog!

Hey everybody,


I have to admit, I've been slow to the world of blogging.  Not because I don't believe in it, I think it can be used as a powerful tool and some of my favorite things to read are incredible blogs written by great writers.  I've been slow to start blogging because -- to be honest -- I wasn't really sure if I had anything to say.  I'm still not sure....but oh well, here we go.


I decided to call my blog "Possible" out of personal experience.  Have you ever felt like you "almost" made it.....like you were "almost" successful at something.....like you made it to 2nd place and you'd love to know what it feels like to be the winner?  I've felt like that over and over again in my life, and if you let it get it to you, you can really become jaded at the thought of "I may as well quit trying because I'm never gonna win anyway."


I'm a Christian recording artist and I'm about to release my first record, Hey There.  The process of writing and working on this record has literally changed my life.  If you told me a year ago that I would have the chance to write 10 songs for a record that I would record and release myself as an artist, I would have probably stared at you blankly and not had a clue where to start.  But over the last year, I've had the chance to get in the room with some of the best songwriters Nashville has to offer.  We've written songs about God's love and forgiveness, about His healing through our brokenness, and we've written about the freedom that only comes through knowing Him.  As we neared completion, one of my producers Barry Weeks came to me and said, "Karyn, we're missing a song -- we need to write one more and it's going to be called 'Possible' because of everything we've overcome to make this record."   I -- being the high maintenance artist that I am -- said, "Okay, sounds great!!!"


You see -- we ran into every obstacle in the world while making of this record.  Financial?  Yup....didn't have the budget to do it.  The Lord provided every penny needed.  (Philippians 4:19)  Delays?  Yup....every one in the book -- bad weather requiring us to cancel sessions, sickness, a death in the family of one of my producers, my own father being diagnosed with cancer.  It kind of wears me out just thinking about it.  (Psalm 55:22)   Naysayers?  YUP!!!  It's amazing how many people want to walk by and pop your balloon just as you're finally gaining the breath to blow it up.  (Galatians 1:10)


So what's my point?  My point is that this record should have NEVER been made.  We didn't have the budget, we didn't have the support, and we hit every roadblock the enemy tried to throw out in front of us.  But out of this experience has come a song called "Possible" in which the chorus says:


Every dream, every plan is possible
When it's in bigger hands it's unstoppable
I'm living with a confidence
No matter what I'm up against
There is One who makes it all make sense
And with Him, everything is possible!
(Weeks/White/Williams)


I'm very proud of this song, because the message is EXACTLY what I stand for.  Life is hard and it is so easy to want to give up.  I've been there over and over, and at times I have given up....only to kick myself later.  It's easy to begin to agree with the people around you telling you that you can't do it.  But here's the thing -- it really doesn't matter what anyone says or thinks.  If you have given your plans to Jesus, then there is NOTHING that can stand in your way.  It's not a cliche, it's truth.  The road may not take you down it the way you planned, in fact, you can pretty much book it that it'll go completely different.  But that's the exciting part, and here's what I've learned -- it's far better to let the Lord lead.  His plans are always better than mine, and He has bigger dreams than I have ever dreamed.  (and that's saying a lot because I'm a BIG dreamer!)  The bottom line is this -- if He is at the center of whatever you're doing, then it literally cannot fail.  Luke 18:27 says, "What is impossible with man is possible with God."


So there ya go, that's where my blog name came from -- a song off of my upcoming record, Hey There.  I absolutely can't wait to share the entire record with you....stay tuned, I'll keep information coming about its release.  I'm kind of excited to start blogging, kind of nervous at the same time.  Either way, I promise to post a blog only if I feel like I legitimately have something to say!


Until next time.....
Dare to Live!
Karyn

No comments:

Post a Comment